Lifeline is a government assistance program that offers eligible consumers one non-transferable discount per household on their monthly local telephone bill.
How Do I Know If I'm Eligible?
You're eligible for Lifeline if you participate in any of the following programs:
- Temporary assistance to needy families (TANF)
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), formerly food stamps
- Low income home energy assistance program (LIHEAP)
- Supplemental security income
- National school lunch program
- Federal public housing assistance.
If you do not qualify based on one of the programs listed above, you may qualify based on household income. You must be at or below 150% of the federal poverty level guidelines, based on family size and annual household income. Lifeline can only be used for one telephone line in a household.
For more information, questions, or to apply for Lifeline, call 1-877-752-8328. You will be asked to provide proof of eligibility by providing a copy of a document that verifies that you participate in any of the programs mentioned above or documentation of household income. Your Lifeline benefits will take effect when proof of eligibility is received.
For consumers located in Texas, visit http://www.puc.texas.gov/consumer/lowincome/Assistance.aspx or call 1-866-454-8387.